Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wondering about Nobel Prizes

I keep on hearing about "Nobel Laureates" who are for this and against that and wonder to myself, who are they? What gives them the moral authority and credibility to tell an ordinary idiot like me how to live my life?

The reason for this musing is the latest garbage coming from a "Nobel Laureate" about how we should embrace vegetarianism to "Fight climate change". So I did a little delving at the Nobel Prize web site. The précis of my reading translates into; 'It's not what you know, it's who you know'. Nominations and votes, at least for the 'Peace Prize' appear to be in the hands (although some are not) of highly politicised bodies. They gave one to Winnie Mandela, God alone knows why considering some of the things she's been accused of. Now Nelson Mandela, yes, no problem there, he definitely deserved one, Mother Theresa - she earned it, but Winnie?

When you reach a particular level of palm greasing and back slapping in world politics, the damn things seem to be given out like sweeties. That's the only reason I can think of for Gore's prize. As for economics, I take a quote lifted directly from the Nobel prize site itself (My italics) "The Prize in Economics is not a Nobel Prize".

As for some Economists, well, their track record is hardly paved with success, is it?

No comments: