Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cool for July

Having not been in BC for long, I'm not sure whether or not the current cool spell is normal for late July. True, the rain has come as a welcome relief, but then the temperatures never popped much above twenty-eight degrees celsius around here in the past month. Despite all the doom mongering about large chunks of ice breaking away from the Arctic Ice pack, this is perfectly normal and nothing to get all excited about, no wonder what any panicmonger says. All the mainstream media pundits with few exceptions seem to ignore the larger than usual ice growth of last winter and just focus on this years melt. No doubt anything that doesn't fit the fashionable AGW theory will be sidelined as usual.

That little observation moves me to remark that there's more than one way to be a 'denier'. One year may not make a trend, but while the Solar minimum continues, we can expect cooler weather. Like in the 1950's, things may bounce back, but as we can no more accurately predict the sun's behaviour in the short to medium term than we can accurately predict the Weather thirty days hence, I won't be holding my breath.

However, in my searches I found this very cool solar site which is definitely going on the sidebar. When Winter sets in again I shall keep warm just by watching it.

No comments: