Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Another nice day

Nice day; not that much doing. Am taking a day out from working and just chilling outside. Read the morning papers and waded through the 58 pages of the Mills-McCartney divorce Judgement. The irony is that if she'd shut her mouth in public, the Judge might have been a bit more generous. Even so, £24 million for four years marriage! Holy smoke! As someone said when the Pope spontaneously combusted. What do you do with that much money?

Really must stop reading the UK newspapers, they are so annoying. I think the only reason I do is to keep an eye on the slow motion train wreck that is the UK economy. We have money still sitting in a high interest account and are wondering at which point we should shift it to a less high risk environment.

Computerwise I'm toying with the idea of replacing my old 1998 Compaq laptop with a Mac. Much nicer. The only reason I stay with a PC is that I've got so much licensed software. Don't like Vista at all, not that keen on XP either. In fact the more I see of the alternatives, the keener I am to ditch Microsoft products. If I had the choice I'd have WordPerfect as a word processor. Microsoft Office is okay(ish), but there are features in WordPerfect that I miss, like the Alt-F3 reveal codes option which gave you the opportunity to really clean up your document code. The revision functions were better, so I could keep track of MSS document changes more readily. I've looked at Open Source / Linux and other stuff, but that would end up distracting me from the business of writing. I'm not a code cruncher, and programming quite frankly, bores me to tears. Always did. It's not that I can't do it, it's just that I really can't be bothered. I find programming sends me to sleep. Did do a bit of it professionally once. Completed a job once, but I tended to find myself nodding off at my desk by the middle of a working week. It was more fun in support, even though the pay wasn't as high.

Dog has arrived, and is looking at me hopefully, so it's time to pootle off down to the beach. Heavy sigh, life is so hard.