Wednesday, May 21, 2008

VIRL

There are some things in life that always brighten your day. Some things which, no matter what the rest of the world is doing, just get on with it and actually work properly despite all the metaphorical slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Today I write in praise of Vancouver Island Regional Library, of which I am a very happy member. Their web site works nicely, and although searching their extensive catalogue can get a bit user fiendish sometimes; with a minor attitude adjustment on my part, I can happily navigate to order what books and tapes take my fancy. Love their extensive collection of DVD's, even if there is a waiting list for the more popular items.

For both Wife and myself, the Nanaimo branch has been a sanity (And on some occasions a relationship) saver all through last Fall, Winter and Spring. The staff are unfailingly helpful, and despite being the most favoured daytime locale for the down and out population of the city, remarkably upbeat and knowledgeable.

What is best is that so long as you bring borrowed items back within the loan period and accrue no fines, the whole thing is free and paid for out of local property taxes. None of those extra charges for borrowing talking books, CD's and DVD's that you get at English libraries. No 'overnight' or 'weekly' borrowing. You borrow for three weeks at a time, and that's it.

If any of the staff ever drop by in their web surfing (Not that it's likely of course). Keep up the good work. Yes I will return that book. I'm sure I left it on the kitchen table, honest. Sorry about the marmalade and coffee stains. Did my best.

Am feeling pretty chipper because the writing continues apace and is getting ready for a full stretch gallop down the home stretch to the denouement. Have also been given a printer and scanner by a friend, buckshee, for nothing. Ooh look, the sun is shining too. Triffic.

No comments: